Once the home of Charles Wright Congelier, his wife Lyda and a servant named Essie was located in the northern area of Manchester in Pittsburgh, PA. During the winter months of 1871 Lyda discovered the terrible secret that her husband was having an affair with Essie. According to the homes history, In a fit of rage she stabbed her husband to death, and cut off Essie’s head.
For the next 20 years the home sat vacant, until 1892 when it was used to accommodate railroad workers who moved out only a few short months claiming to have heard the noises of a woman sobbing, or sometimes screaming throughout the night.
Around the year of 1900 the home was purchased by a Doctor by the name of Adolph C. Brunrichter who was described by neighbors as a man who kept to himself and was rarely ever seen. Until the night of August 12, 1901 when in the middle of the night neighbors heard a blood curdling scream come from the house. Neighbors Richard Winer & Nancy Osbourn claimed to have seen red lights flashing through the house and the ground beneath them shook, until they saw all the windows in the home shatter. When officials entered the house to investigate, they found a decomposed female body strapped to the bed and five headless young women in basement graves. “Dr. Brunrichter had been experimenting with severed heads,” wrote Winer and Osborn. “Apparently he had been able to keep some alive for short periods after decapitation.” Dr. Brunrichter, meanwhile, had disappeared, and the house once again stood vacant. Read full article